The Knowledge Hub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Bryn
Bryn
Admin

Why affluent people live in rural areas instead of urban and suburban areas Empty Why affluent people live in rural areas instead of suburban areas

Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:27 am
Bit of human geography here, and was something that a college lecturer told me about last year... but I've found some more information on that subject to share.

Affluent/well-off people do live in the same society as us, but the fact is that they choose to live in more rural areas, and there are many reasons for it. One of the reason for that is their desire for larger properties and greater privacy, and rural settings typically offer more land, allowing for expansive homes, gardens, and outdoor spaces. This contrasts with suburban areas, where homes are often closer together, and the sense of privacy may be diminished. Also, many affluent people are more drawn to rural areas for their natural beauty and tranquility. Living in a rural environment often provides access to scenic landscapes, wildlife, and outdoor recreational activities, which can be appealing for those seeking a peaceful lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle of urban and suburban life. The ability to enjoy nature directly from one's home is a significant factor in this choice.

They also enjoy and stronger sense of community and social cohesion, and may appreciate the slower pace of life and the opportunity to engage in community activities that are more prevalent in rural settings, and in general an escape from urban stressors, such as noise, pollution and traffic congestion.

Some of the rural affluent areas I know in Scotland are mostly around East Dunbartonshire, more so for Bearsden, Milngavie and Kirkintilloch. Also, many of these areas in general would have a Waitrose around, haha.
Kyng

Why affluent people live in rural areas instead of urban and suburban areas Empty Re: Why affluent people live in rural areas instead of suburban areas

Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:05 pm
Yeah, it's a similar story over here: rural East Cheshire has its own affluent "Golden Triangle", which is one of the wealthiest areas in the country outside London. Various celebrities and their families live there (and in particular, it's popular with Man City and Man United footballers, due to its close proximity to Manchester!)

But yes, all of those reasons make sense. Whether it's a desire for a larger house and garden; cleaner or more beautiful countryside; or just to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, I can certainly understand it Smile .

Bryn likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum