The Knowledge Hub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Bryn
Bryn
Admin

Twice as many people in Britain want taxi rises as they do for tax cuts Empty Twice as many Brits want tax rises as they do for cuts

Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:04 am

Twice as many Britons support tax increases to pay for public services as those who believe they should be reduced even if it means further public service cuts, according to new a report.

A study released by abrdn Financial Fairness Trust, a research body set up by the fund manager, said the public are willing to support policies that they don’t think will benefit their own finances, despite almost two in five (39%) of households now classed as having serious financial difficulties. The number of households with finances in distress has increased by 2.9 million since the last election in 2019, when 28% were in that situation.

About a third of the 5,572 people surveyed said they supported raising their taxes if it benefitted other people with more hours of free childcare, cheaper energy tariffs for lower-income households and an increase in child benefit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/01/twice-as-many-britons-want-tax-rises-as-want-cuts-survey-finds
---

The article and associated survey may be over a month old, but would certainly still be relevant especially when Keir Starmer, although having pledged not to do this if elected to power, would have to raise taxes in response to the £22bn black hole by the "shocking inheritance" left behind by the Tories.

While the Tories like to fume over tax rises as they always do, they actually help fund public services and I personally would not mind having to pay more just to get the economy become healthier and more robust (especially when I am in a good financial situation right now). Although, some people would be worse off but I trust Rachel Reeves to help out the most in need, whereas the likes of Jeremy Hunt would rather go with this laissez-faire attitude, same for his boss Sunak also.
Kyng

Twice as many people in Britain want taxi rises as they do for tax cuts Empty Re: Twice as many Brits want tax rises as they do for cuts

Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:08 pm
Yeah - I myself wouldn't mind paying more taxes, if it's going to help those more vulnerable than myself. 

I do understand that there's a limit to how far that can go (since above a certain level, high taxes will simply stunt productivity and drive people out of the country) - but, I'm not one of those people who thinks there's no justification for them, ever!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum