The Knowledge Hub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Bryn
Bryn
Admin

Regional variations and differences of Australian accents Empty Regional variations of Australian accents

Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:54 am
Everyone will know that accents vary between one part of the country and the other (such as American, Canadian and British) but, after early assumption that accents all around Australia are homogenous, there's actually some variation between each of its regions (although not as much for the other ones I mentioned earlier).

• Most notably, the word "fear" is pronounced differently between Western Australia and New South Wales, where the latter is pronounced as "fee", and would be the same for similar words such as "ear", "air" and "scared".
  • Between the words "salary" and "celery", they sound almost the same in Victoria, more so amongst young speakers (as "salary"). It is also the same amongst older speakers, only that both are said as "celery".
  • "The Alps" is pronounced differently between NSW and Victoria, where for the latter, it is pronounced something like "the ulps".
  • "school", and similar words to it, are pronounced much differently between speakers in Queensland and South Australia, where for the latter, it is said with more emphasis on the "oo" sound.
  • Also in South Australia, speaks have the tendency to have the "l" sound like a vowel, as such for "hurled" whereas in NSW, the same word is said with the "l" as a proper consonant.
  • "France" is also pronounced different between South Australia and Queensland, where for the latter sounds a little shorter and is also for the same for words with either two or three consonants before the vowel (like plant, branch, and dimple)
  • In Northern Territory, words that end in "ee" sound more elongated (such as for "see", "tree" and even for saying the letter Z).
  • For Tasmania, its pronounciations are much different to the Australian mainland, but the most notable is for "Launceston" (one of its cities). While most people always pronounce it as the way they see it ("Lawn-ceston"), Tasmanians say it correctly as "Lon-ses-tin".

Sources:

So... were you surprised of how diverse the Australian accent is, even though it's largely uniform across the country? And do you know any other words that are pronounced differently between each region? (I also ask this question to any Australians that may see this thread, haha).

Kyng likes this post

Kyng

Regional variations and differences of Australian accents Empty Re: Regional variations of Australian accents

Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:39 pm
Yeah, it doesn't surprise me that there are regional variations within Australia - especially since it's such a massive country. (Indeed, the main reason why they "sound the same" to most non-Australians is because most of us are not familiar with the differences, and are more likely to notice with the similarities!)

But, thanks for posting this Smile . I'll have to listen out for these next time I hear an Aussie speaking!

Bryn likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum